Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
Enhance Your Research Skills and Gain a Competitive Edge
Undergraduate students from two-year community colleges who are interested in the sciences are encouraged to apply for one of 12 slots in our Research Experience for Undergraduates internship program. The REU internship provides a $5,400 stipend, meal plan, on-campus housing, and travel costs up to $500 for round trip transportation to Tucson, Arizona, to participate in a 10-week summer research experience focused on microbial symbiosis and diversity hosted by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at the University of Arizona.
This is a great opportunity to explore your research interests, learn valuable scientific and communication skills, meet other students, and learn about the University of Arizona. The program runs from May 25 to August 8, 2002, with off-campus assignments the week of May 25. The on-campus experience begins May 30.
If you're selected, you will be matched to a research project based on your interests and present your findings in a formal symposium at the conclusion of your internship. Research topic areas include:
- Microbial diversity, systematics, and evolution
- Plant-animal-microbe interactions
- Microbes and the environment
- Microbial metabolites and bioproducts
- Genetics, genomics, and bioinformatics
You'll also participate in campus tours, field trips, training seminars, and workshops.
Who should apply?
Undergraduate community college students who meet the following requirements are encouraged to apply:
- You're enrolled in a degree-granting program at a two-year U.S. college or university
- You're interested in STEM fields
- You're a member of a group underrepresented in the STEM fields
- You would like to continue on to graduate school
- You'll have completed your first year of college, including a general biology class, by the state of the program and have at least one semester of undergraduate study remaining after completion of the REU internship
- You're a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or its possessions
How to Apply
There is no fee required to apply. Your application must include:
- A statement of career goals and reasons for participating in the program
- Two letters of recommendation
- Your unofficial transcripts
- A completed online application
Applications may be submitted from December 2, 2019, through February 7, 2020.